With the new Version and Revision features its confusing on when to use revisions or versions, my take is as follows
When should you use Revisions:
- If you want to do changes that are above your backend services, for example using policies.
- Add authentication: your api did not have any authentication and you want to have one without disturbing your existing service, so you would add that in the in the new revision
- Logging: you api did not have any logging of incoming and outgoing requests and you don’t want to disturb your backend service so you create a revision for that feature
- Note: only 1 revision is exposed to the outside world
When should you use Versions:
- Use versions when you introduce a breaking change in your api and deploy it as a new backend server and want to support both those deployments.